MILWAUKEE, WI – Cream City Foundation is excited to announce the recipients of the 2023 Scholarship Program after another strong year of applications. This year twenty (20) Milwaukee-area LGBTQ+ students were selected to each receive a $2,500 scholarship totaling $50,000 in awards.
The program continues to be a hallmark area of Cream City Foundation’s commitment to continue to build equity and prosperity within the LGBTQ+ community and investment in the future LGBTQ+ leaders in our area.
“This year CCF awarded nearly twice the number of scholarships from previous programs, which represents one of our most impactful years of our scholarship program since its founding nearly eight years ago.” said Angela Harden, Scholarship Committee chair, adding “We are incredibly grateful to our donors who have helped us continue this investment to future LGBTQ+ leaders in our area.”
Below is the complete list of the 2023 scholarship recipients.
- Arturo Gonzalez-Villareal (he/him) | Marquette University | Doctorate, Pediatric Nurse Practitioner
- Camiel Hampton (she/her) | Concordia University – Wisconsin | Master’s, Business-Entreprenurial Studies
- Chiến Binh (she/her) | Mount Mary University | Master’s, Professional Counseling
- Cole Lehto (he/him) | UW – Milwaukee | Bachelor’s | Studio Art
- Dan Hughes (he/him) | Medical College of Wisconsin | Doctorate, Medicine
- Edward Willow (he/him) | Medical College of Wisconsin | Doctorate, Medicine
- Emmett Lockwood (he/him/they/them) | UW – Madison | Bachelor’s, Political Science & Gender and Women’s Studies
- Grace Caster (they/them) | UW – Milwaukee | Bachelor’s, Public Health
- Jax Seeger (they/them/he/him) | UW – Milwaukee – Bachelor’s | Community Education/Engagement & Women and Gender Studies
- Leslie Gorham (she/her) | UW – Milwaukee | Master’s, Public Health
- Lexy Lunger (she/her) | UW – Milwaukee – Bachelor’s | Social Work
- Limor Hendricks (they/she) | UW – Milwaukee | Master’s, Social Work
- Marissa Cudworth (she/her) | UW – Milwaukee – Bachelor’s | Sustainable Peacebuilding
- Nicky Russell (they/them) | UW – Milwaukee | Master’s, Social Work
- Paityn Gross (they/them) | Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design | Bachelor’s, Illustration
- Paola Rivera (she/they) | Medical College of Wisconsin | Doctorate, Medicine
- Slater Gutierrez (he/him/they/them) | UW – Milwaukee | Bachelor’s, History
- Syd Weimer (she/her) | UW – Milwaukee @ Waukesha | Bachelor’s, Nursing
- Trenice Ferguson(she/her) | Marquette University | Master’s, Public Service
- Undisclosed Recipient | Doctorate, Medicine
The 2023 Scholarship Program selection committee consists of Cream City Foundation board members and community members. The committee included Angela Harden (Chair), Husch Blackwell; Camrin LaFond, Milwaukee Tool; Laura Mayerle, Natera; Reverend Tory Topjian, Milwaukee Metropolitan Community Church; Sangeeta Rajput, GE HealthCare; Emmett Roehr, Milwaukee Tool & Patrina Galgan, Baird.
Cream City Foundation would like to thank Will Radler, Milwaukee Gay Sports Network, Ron Jacquart, and Milwaukee Pride for their support as well as the hundreds of other Cream City Foundation donors. This investment in Milwaukee’s future leaders would not be possible with the support of these people and organizations.
About the Cream City Foundation LGBTQ+ scholarship program:
The Cream City Foundation LGBTQ+ Scholarship Program was founded in 2015 to support LGBTQ+ student leaders in Southeastern Wisconsin. Scholarships can be used for any post-secondary education at the undergraduate, graduate, or post-graduate level. Since 2015 the program has awarded over $220,000 to local students.