Website VISIT Milwaukee
The communication coordinator provides overall support and project management for the communications department. Role includes overseeing travel writer logistics, event coordination of travel writer conferences, department tracking and reporting, copywriting, public relations research, and internal and external communications support.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Media Relations Support
• Support the communications department on travel writer logistics, helping to secure hotel rooms with media rates, coordinating transportation, picking up gift cards at partner businesses, and helping to prepare for the media visit.
• Project management and coordination oversight of hosting writer conferences and press trips in Milwaukee. Oversee logistics of event including project plans, partner coordination for day trips, logistics at evening receptions, budget tracking, and more.
• Tracks pitches sent by the communications managers, and any incoming editorial requests to flag for follow-up.
• Respond to incoming media queries as directed or assigned by the communications director
• Assist in hosting press trips for visiting media as assigned, including itinerary development trip coordination, and hosting/touring media throughout the destination.
• Conduct media site visits and tours through Milwaukee attractions and neighborhoods on foot and/or by vehicle.
• Develop detailed journalist profiles for communications staff as needed to enhance success rate on pitches.
• Work with digital department to ensure media placements are captured in the CRM database, including tracking of writers and publications, pitches, queries, media contact information, and press clips.
• Work with partnership and digital departments on reporting when partners/stakeholders businesses are mentioned in press/media that VISIT Milwaukee has placed.
• Work with digital department to generate monthly communications reports to chart department’s progress, including monthly key measures and board reports.
• Daily monitoring of media coverage in local, regional, national and international outlets for coverage related to Milwaukee’s image.
• Oversee weekly Friday webinar presentation, ensuring the slides are updated based on requested VISIT Milwaukee updates and partner content. Write script for weekly webinars.
• Oversee quarterly communications calendar for organization’s emails and newsletters. Overseeing copywriting for email communications as assigned.
• Provide a wide variety of copywriting assistance within the public relations/marketing departments and to other VISIT Milwaukee departments as needed, including but not limited to: press releases, media pitches, advertorial, feature articles, travel writer e-newsletter, web content, social media posts, marketing collateral and company presentations.
• Draft and distribute press releases and media alerts as needed
• Draft and assist with personalized welcome letters and letters of support from Milwaukee’s Mayor, County Executive, Governor and VISIT Milwaukee CEO, and others as requested
• Update and re-format all organization fact sheets as required on quarterly basis.
• Update Common Slides Powerpoint presentation as required or on a quarterly basis.
• Other copywriting duties as assigned.
• Assist the overall department support, including scheduling meetings, opening PO#s, tracking budgets, creating presentation slides, proof reading, fact finding, and reporting.
• Represent VISIT Milwaukee in the community by helping to staff VISIT Milwaukee sponsorship tables, booths activations at festivals and events, and more.
• Attend tourism and other meetings with partners to stay informed of local events and assists in related promotional efforts.
• Represent VISIT Milwaukee at various media-related conventions and tradeshows as necessary.
• Assist with other projects as assigned.
• Assist with office reception relief as needed.
Required education and experience:
• Associates degree or equivalent from an accredited institution in marketing, public relations, advertising, journalism or a related field, or equivalent relevant professional experience
• Minimum 1-3 years of prior experience
• Team-centered experience desired, past work within the tourism and/or hospitality industry experience a plus.
Required skills, knowledge and abilities:
• Ability to work on a collaborative, fast-paced, team
• Must possess demonstrated experience in written communications skills, including copywriting and editing.
• Strong verbal communication and presentation skills.
• Possesses strong technical experience, including advanced computer experience. Proficient with MS Office applications, working with databases, and generating written and visual reports, including experience with Prezi and PowerPoint.
• Willingness to “jump in” and be a team player.
• Strong commitment to diversity and inclusivity in the workplace
• Keen attention to detail, the ability to coordinate multiple tasks and meet strict deadlines.
• Must be able to develop networks within the local tourism and media community.
• Must be a driven individual with a strong work ethic, the ability to work at a rapid pace, and to identify trends and opportunities and formulate action plans with a quick turnaround.
• Ability to travel by air and personal vehicle. Must possess a valid driver’s license.
• Ability to participate in active itineraries during media tours, both indoor and outdoor, including walking, bicycle, and kayak tours.
• Must have internet access at home
• Must be able to work nights and occasional weekends as required.
• Ability to sit or stand at desk, operate computer keyboard and view computer screen for six to eight hours per day.
• Must be able to hear and converse via telephone and in person.
• May be required to lift boxes and small equipment up to 50 pounds in weight.
• Travel in personal automobile may be required for business; occasional air travel may be required.
NOTE: This job posting is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Apply including resume, cover letter, and desired salary.
No phone calls please. Due to the high volume of applications received, we are not able to contact all applicants. If you do not hear from us further, someone more qualified was contacted for the position.
VISIT Milwaukee is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this job please visit www.visitmilwaukee.org.