Website City of Madison
- General Description
APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED UNTIL THE CLOSING DATE, HOWEVER THEY WILL WILL BE INITIALLY SCREENED ON MAY 30 WITH THE FIRST ROUND OF INTERVIEWS STARTING ON JUNE 5TH.
This is routine, entry-level, manual work that is vital to keep our City buildings safe and clean. In this position you will perform a variety of building cleaning tasks. You will be assigned tasks subject to established methods and routines. Work is reviewed, to ensure work standards, by a supervisor or lead worker.No previous cleaning experience is required. All interested are encouraged to apply. We are looking for applicants that can learn new skills, that we can rely on, and that can be a valuable member of our team. We can teach the cleaning skills required to be successful in this position.Hours are Monday through Friday from 3:30 p.m. to midnight.THIS RECRUITMENT WILL BE USED TO FILL OTHER VACANCIES THAT OCCUR IN OTHER DEPARTMENTS THAT MAY ARISE OVER THE NEXT SIX (6) MONTHS. SUCH VACANCIES MAY BE PERMANENT FULL-TIME OR PART-TIME.
The City of Madison is an equal opportunity employer functioning under an affirmative action plan. We value diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging. Black, Indigenous, people of color, women, trans, nonbinary, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply!
Employees may be eligible for loan forgiveness through the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
- Examples of Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain floors, carpets, and stairways by sweeping, vacuuming, scrubbing, and mopping. Wash and remove blemishes from windows, light fixtures, blinds, mirrors, and walls. Clean and maintain rooms by dusting, scrubbing, and polishing shelves, furniture, fabric partitions, bathroom fixtures, ceilings and other equipment and/or appliances.
- Collect and remove trash and refuse from wastebaskets, trash boxes, and other refuse/recyclable containers and properly dispose of wastes.
- Arrange furniture and set up equipment as specified. Change light bulbs and florescent tubes.
- Perform tasks such as raking and watering lawns, snow and ice removal (by hand), trash pickup, sweeping parking lots and sidewalks.
- Perform all work per established procedures.
- Safely operate all vehicles and other job related equipment.
- Use provided personal protective equipment (PPE) as required for work being performed.
- Attend assigned training and staff meetings.
- Perform related work as required.
- Minimum Qualifications
- All applicants will be considered for this position. Depending on the number of applicants, random selection may be used to determine who moves forward in the process.
The City of Madison strives to provide exceptional customer service to all its residents and visitors. Therefore, successful candidates will have demonstrated ability to work effectively with multicultural communities.For the complete list of the knowledge, skills, and abilities, please reference the classification specification.
- Special Requirements
- Possession of a valid Wisconsin driver’s license.
- Must have the ability to work in all facilities maintained by Engineering. This includes 6 Madison police facilities (5 district police stations, evidence storage and training facilities). All custodians hired by Engineering must receive a successful completion of a background check by Madison Police Department.
- Must be able to lift/carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds and perform work while walking/standing for a large percentage of time. In addition, must be able to frequently bend, twist, squat, climb (including ladders) and reach.
- Must be able to work outdoors in all types of weather.
- Madison, City of (WI)
215 Martin Luther King Jr., Blvd.
MMB Rm 261
MADISON, Wisconsin, 53703
- (608) 266-4615
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.