Website University of Wisconsin
The Event Coordinator is responsible for event planning, scheduling, organizing, and on-site supervising of event staff. They work under the guidance of the Department Administrator and follow established policies and procedures to meet the department’s and customers’ needs. The Event Coordinator ensures that events comply with institutional policy.
Collaborates with the Administrative Team to plan and develop the institution’s event program, including advancing the program budget, performing curriculum functions, and assisting in cultivating stakeholder relationships to ensure that operations run efficiently, economically, and in line with department goals and policy.
Detailed Job Responsibilities
Half of the job responsibilities will include business and onsite operational support for the Dance Department, Department sponsored, and rental events in Lathrop Hall including:
1. Supervising onsite operations of student employees for public/customer facing departmental events.
2. Interpreting and applying University fiscal policies and procedures.
3. Managing student employee availability and weekly schedules.
4. Drafting materials for and scheduling routine meetings and training with student employees.
5. Providing onsite student employee management.
6. Supervising and/or responsible for completing room sets and event preparations.
7. Greeting and providing exemplary customer service to meeting and event clients.
8. Managing customer service feedback for the venue.
The other half of the job will include planning and operational support for Departmental functions and performances
1. Managing and ordering event supplies.
2. Planning and coordinating event catering.
3. Responsible for administrative event preparations including onsite event setup and breakdown.
4. Participating in event planning and feedback meetings with event stakeholders.
5. Providing event participation direction and onsite event management.
6. Assisting with event and department student employee recruitment, hiring, training, disciplinary, and termination of student employees.
The Event Coordinator will also provides administrative support as needed.
Plans, schedules, documents, and supports events using established policies and procedures to meet customer needs and ensure compliance with institutional policy.
- 20% Communicates with customers to determine event details and requirements, evaluates requests, recommends service plans and pricing, and provides status updates
- 40% Schedules logistics and secures resources for all aspects of events including space, vendors, and staff; and coordinates details and resolves operational issues
- 20% Monitors and processes event related transactions and event data and records
- 10% Greets customers/guests, assists with registration, answers questions, and refers complex issues to appropriate entities
- 10% Assists with planning and the creation of promotional materials and resources for events
Institutional Statement on Diversity:
Diversity is a source of strength, creativity, and innovation for UW-Madison. We value the contributions of each person and respect the profound ways their identity, culture, background, experience, status, abilities, and opinion enrich the university community. We commit ourselves to the pursuit of excellence in teaching, research, outreach, and diversity as inextricably linked goals.
The University of Wisconsin-Madison fulfills its public mission by creating a welcoming and inclusive community for people from every background – people who as students, faculty, and staff serve Wisconsin and the world.
For more information on diversity and inclusion on campus, please visit: Diversity and Inclusion
Combined substantive professional/practice experience and a degree at least one level above the level of instruction
Equivalent of 2-3 years working in event coordination, theater or dance background preferred. Experience in event coordination in performance or related field.
1 year of relevant experience required with a preferred minimum of 3 years in event planning, onsite management, or related areas.
Administrative or customer service experience in a fast-paced environment with competing demands.
Demonstrated written and verbal communications skills for diverse audiences.
Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office applications and ability to learn other software applications.
Primary hours are Monday – Friday, 7:45 am – 4:30 pm. Required to work nights and/or weekends during functions and performance.
Full Time: 100%
It is anticipated this position requires work be performed in-person, onsite, at a designated campus work locations.
Appointment Type, Duration:
Minimum $18.00 HOURLY
Depending on Qualifications
This position offers a comprehensive benefits package, including generous paid time off, competitively priced health/dental/vision/life insurance, tax-advantaged savings accounts, and participation in the nationally recognized Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS) pension fund. For a summary of benefits, please see
How to Apply:
Please click on the “Apply Now” button to start the application process. As part of the application process, you will be required to submit:
– A cover letter describing how your experience and qualifications meet the requirements of this position.
– A current resume or CV.
– A list of three professional references, including contact information. References will not be contacted until the final interview stage.
A17-SCHOOL OF EDUCATION/DANCE
The University of Wisconsin-Madison is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, including but not limited to, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, pregnancy, disability, or status as a protected veteran and other bases as defined by federal regulations and UW System policies. We promote excellence through diversity and encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
If you need to request an accommodation because of a disability, you can find information about how to make a request at the following website: https://employeedisabilities.wisc.edu/disability-accommodation-information-for-applicants/
Employment will require a criminal background check. It will also require you and your references to answer questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment.
The University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report contains current campus safety and disciplinary policies, crime statistics for the previous 3 calendar years, and on-campus student housing fire safety policies and fire statistics for the previous 3 calendar years. UW-Madison will provide a paper copy upon request; please contact the University of Wisconsin Police Department.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.wisc.edu.