Website City of Madison
This is highly skilled mechanical work in the repair and maintenance of all types of automotive/fleet and construction equipment within the Fleet Service Division. The work is characterized by the high degree of complexity, independence, and technical discretion and may involve providing leadership and mechanical expertise to other workers. The work is performed under the general supervision of a foreperson and is reviewed for overall results.
*Normal shifts are Monday through Friday, with hours from 2 pm to 10 pm or 7:30 am to 3:30 pm. The current vacancy is second shift with potential to move to first shift.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform repairs on automotive/fleet equipment such as automobiles, light trucks, heavy trucks (over 26,000 lbs.), farm tractors, gang-mowers, semi-tractor and trailers and on other types of equipment such as street sweepers, semi-tractors, end loaders, scrapers, motor graders, fire pumpers, aerial trucks, air masks, air bottles and other miscellaneous motorized equipment.
- Receive and review repair orders. Troubleshoot and diagnose malfunctions using appropriate test equipment such as engine analyzer, multi-meters, electronic test equipment, gauges and other testing equipment. Prepare time and material estimates when necessary.
- Identify and obtain necessary replacement parts.
- Overhaul, adjust and tune diesel and gas engines/motors including valve adjustments and timing. Repair and overhaul manual and automatic transmissions and all linkage systems. Overhaul clutches, differential drive trains, shafts and u-joints. Maintain and repair power and manual steering systems and all components of the fuel, cooling/heating, exhaust and emission control systems.
- Remove and replace major components as needed.
- Check, test and repair components and accessories of electrical, lighting and electronic systems.
- Inspect, adjust and repair all components of hydraulic, air, electric and mechanical brake systems. Adjust, repair and replace suspension systems.
- Perform road test and/or operational checks on all equipment repaired.
- Review repair order for completion and process necessary forms and records. Create, edit and close out repair orders using a computer. Post parts and materials to repair order.
- Receive and send intra and inter departmental e-mail and correspondence utilizing the City of Madison computer system.
- Train and/or assist lower level workers.
- Assist with general housekeeping of shop and immediate work area.
- Perform related work as required.
- Three (3) years of experience in the skilled repair of a variety of automotive equipment.
- Coursework in automotive mechanics.
- Completion of an accredited automotive apprenticeship program and two (2) years of experience equivalent to that as an Automotive Maintenance Worker for the City of Madison.
Although not required hybrid-electric or electric vehicle knowledge would be a plus.
Four (4) years experience in applying the following:
- Mechanical functions of all types of automotive/fleet and basic construction equipment.
Two (2) years experience in applying the following:
- Principles, practices, methods, equipment and supplies specific to the diagnosis and mechanical repair of systems and components of automotive/fleet and construction equipment.
- Mechanical, hydraulic and electrical/electronic systems common to the automotive field.
- Computer software applicable to the duties of the position
Familiarity in applying the following:
- Automotive body repair methods and tools.
- Maintenance and upkeep of hybrid vehicles.
In order to support the safety, health, and wellbeing of our employees and the public we serve, the City of Madison is requiring all employees to be fully vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine or get tested for COVID-19 weekly, except where a reasonable medical or religious accommodation can be granted. Upon hire you will be required to provide proof of your vaccination in the form of your vaccination card or through immunization records.
Incumbents in this position must be able to lift 25 pounds repeatedly, 50-70 pounds frequently and heavier objects occasionally. Incumbents will also be expected to work in all weather conditions and engage in strenuous activity consistent with the trade (including bending, twisting, stooping, climbing ladders, etc.).
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.