Website OutReach LGBTQ+ Community Center
Position: LGBTQ+ Transgender Advocate
Supervised by: OutReach Program Director
Full-time Equivalent: .75 LTE, 30+ hours per week, flexible work days, must be available during OutReach operating hours in the week
* Provide care with compassion to Transgender, Non-Binary, Genderqueer, and Gender Expansive persons who are seeking assistance in access to services. Advocate on clients’ behalf whenever necessary while practicing professional boundaries.
* Be knowledgeable on pronouns usage and laws/legislation that impact transgender/non-binary folks.
Promote causes that impact the LGBTQ+ community members in Dane County and Wisconsin. Refer clients that are seeking legal consultation and/or political association to the proper agencies that offer those
services (i.e. via our directory).
* Collaborate and work with other agencies in order to create a better environment for people seeking
assistance and peer support. One must not provide on-going therapy or case management.
* Provide LGBTQ+ and Trans/Non-Binary specific trainings to the public individually and with other LGBTQ+ Program Advocates.
* Facilitate support group meetings as needed.
* Work in the community with clients, non-profit agencies, community leaders, and others to promote equality and quality of life for transgender, non-binary, and gender expansive folks.
*Work with OutReach’s Madison Area Transgender Association (MATA) program as a team member on the MATA Leadership Team. Promote new ideas for training with MATA and coordinate the facilitation of MATA Social/Support Groups.
* Assist in the planning of social gatherings, events, and other programs hosted by OutReach/MATA.
* Provide knowledge and data involving Trans Health and well-being (i.e. Safe sex resources, HIV
prevention, doctor referrals, etc.) for volunteers, staff, funders, health-care institutions, and community organizations.
*Facilitate trainings on Transgender topics in the community.
Information and Referral
* Provide support and information for transgender individuals and refer them to appropriate and necessary services that OutReach and other social service agencies provide.
* Focus on cooperating with MATA and referring clients to other OutReach programs as necessary.
* Work with IT Manager on managing Transgenderservices.org and promoting it to the public.
* All candidates must support OutReach’s mission of a commitment to equity and quality of life for all LGBTQ+ people through community building, health and human services, and economic, social, and racial justice advocacy.
* LGBTQ+ Transgender Advocate must comply with funding requirements.
* Must have excellent public speaking and interpersonal skills and fulfill other responsibilities as assigned.
* Must have access to own transportation, reimbursements for travel will be provided.
* Knowledge of issues facing the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Non-Binary, Genderqueer, Gender Expansive communities is required.
* A college degree and/or experience working in non-profit advocacy is required. Preferably in Human Services or Social Services.
* Experience working with LGBTQ+ persons is required.
*We provide flexible work hours, but must be available during OutReach business hours weekdays noon to 7pm.
*Bilingual candidates are preferred but not required.
Please send resume to Program Director, Mark Long via
[email protected] or mail to OutReach LGBTQ+ Community Center,
2701 International Ln, Suite 101, Madison, WI, 53704.
Please, no phone calls regarding this job.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org