Website City of Fitchburg
The City of Fitchburg Fire Department is currently accepting applications from motivated individuals who have a strong passion to protect life and property. As a Paid On-Call Firefighter, no previous experience or training is needed only the willingness to make the commitment to learn and serve. Firefighters in this category train with their full-time counterparts and fill a vital role in the department.
- Respond to fire and other emergency calls.
- Drive and operate firefighting vehicles and equipment.
- Select hose and nozzle depending on the type of fire and direct stream of water or chemical onto fire.
- Position and climb ladders to gain access to upper levels of buildings or to assist individuals from burning structures.
- Create openings in building for ventilation or entrance using an ax, chisel, crowbar, smoke ejectors, and deodorants.
- Administer first aid and artificial respiration to injured persons and those overcame by fire and smoke.
- Participate in drills, demonstrations, and courses in hydraulics, pump operation and maintenance, and firefighting techniques.
- Attend training courses, read and study assigned materials related to fire prevention, suppression, rescue, training, and public fire safety education.
- Perform assigned duties in maintaining apparatus, quarters, buildings, equipment, grounds, and hydrants.
- Inspect buildings for fire hazards and compliance with fire prevention ordinances.
- Issue forms to building owners listing fire regulation violations to be corrected.
- Participate in educating the public on fire safety.
Education and/or Experience Requirements:
- High School Diploma or Equivalency.
- 18 years of age.
Licenses, Certifications, etc.
- Must possess a valid Wisconsin driver’s license during the entire course of employment.
- State of Wisconsin Entry Level Firefighter.
- State of Wisconsin Firefighter I.
- Emergency Medical First Responder (within probationary period).
- ICS IS-100b, IS-200b, IS-700a, and IS-800a (within probationary period).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
For the entire list of knowledge, skills and abilities, please view the job description.
Very heavy work: Exerting in excess of 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or in excess of 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or in excess of 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Both inside and outside. A job is considered “both” if the activities occur inside or outside in approximately equal amounts. Occasionally exposed to hazards or risk of bodily injury. Occasionally exposed to extreme heat, changes in temperature, wet and humid conditions. Occasional exposure to odors, toxic conditions, dust, poor ventilation, vibrations, and moderate noise.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.