Website VISIT Milwaukee
The social media coordinator will oversee social strategy, content creation, paid social promotions, and channel management for VISIT Milwaukee’s social media channels. The position will lead efforts in Milwaukee’s storytelling on social media, and ensure the voice and tone of the brand is infused throughout marketing communications and that both partner and diverse businesses are well represented in content. Additionally, the position will support the overall communications department providing copywriting support, including but not limited to writing for internal and external audiences, websites, newsletters, marketing collateral, and presentation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Oversee and coordinate VISIT Milwaukee’s social media activity
• Management of social media communities on all social platforms (VISIT Milwaukee & DearMKE), including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, Pinterest, YouTube, etc.
• Ensure all communications on social media platforms reflect the VISIT Milwaukee brand, with consistent voice and tone
• Define quarterly social media strategy, and craft messages and look for unique opportunity to encourage participation and conversation on our social pages; pivot as needed
• Create monthly/weekly social media editorial calendar, and post and respond daily with creative and engaging content on all social media channels
• Keep appraised of emerging social media platforms and trends
• Seek out opportunities to partner with social media influencers and/or VISIT Milwaukee partners to help curate unique content and experience on social channels
• With guidance from the communications director, create a crisis communications social media strategy and oversee responses, when deemed appropriate, to respond to negativity on our channels
• Monitor general social content about the Greater Milwaukee area, and follow key community leaders to stay apprised on social media activity; provide constructive interaction with users as required
• Create social media advertising strategy and oversee the campaigns paid social media buys ensuring promoted posts are well targeted and optimized to reach goals and KPIs
• Maintain social media ad buy budget, working closely with finance department, to track spending and report on paid promotion successes
• Serve as copywriter within the communications department, assisting on creative writing for the following initiatives, including but not limited to: website content, printed publications, newsletters, digital publication, visitor itineraries, presentations, video scripts, and advertising copy (radio scripts, print ads, etc.).
• Review and proofread copy being published by VISIT Milwaukee, ensuring brand consistency (voice-and-tone), correct grammar and spelling, and fact checking as necessary.
• Provide pre-written descriptive copy about the destination for promotional needs.
• Provide information on the Wisconsin Center, Milwaukee’s history, attractions, culture, dining and entertainment options.
• Other copywriting duties as assigned
• Represent VISIT Milwaukee at partner events, including but not limited to press events, museum exhibit openings, partner open houses/tours, and special events in order to incorporate new content into VISIT Milwaukee’s communications.
• Proactively attend local, regional, and national educational conferences and webinars to stay on top of industry trends and best practices as it related to the tourism industry and content marketing world. Report back findings to extended marketing & communications team, leading brown bag learning sessions and trainings related to social media best practices.
• Assist with VISIT Milwaukee event planning and execution, including but not limited to the annual meeting and partner-focused events, to ensure social media is part of overall strategy and experience.
• Assist with other projects as assigned
Required education and experience:
• Associates degree in journalism/creative writing, marketing, public relations or a related field, or relevant equivalent professional experience.
• Minimum 1-3 years of prior experience
• Training and experience managing social media in a business setting, including overseeing channels and implementing social media advertising.
• Team-centered experience desired, past work within the tourism and/or hospitality industry experience a plus.
Required skills, knowledge and abilities:
• Ability to work on a collaborative, fast-paced, team
• Experience overseeing communications for several different channels; including but not limited to writing for websites, newsletters, publication guides, digital communications, marketing collateral, direct mail & ads, video scripts, blogs, and presentations.
• Understand best practices of writing to different target audiences (including B2B & B2C), and keeping voice and tone consistently on-brand.
• Ability to explain complex social media data in an understandable way
• Proficient using multi-social posting programs such as Hootsuite and HubSpot
• Must have excellent communication and customer service skills and the ability to convey information in a positive manner.
• Keen attention to detail, ensuring accurate information and proof reading.
• The ability to coordinate multiple tasks, create and maintain project timelines for assignments, and ensure that all work is completed by deadlines.
• Strong working knowledge of web sites, multiple browsers, and various image and video file formats.
• Advanced computer experience including MS Office applications required. Database experience a plus.
• The ability to work independently, exercise judgment and problem solve, and self-direct work.
• Exceptional knowledge of the Greater Milwaukee area, including attractions, arts and cultural institutions, events, restaurants, etc.
• Must have internet access at home
• Must be able to work nights and occasional weekends as needed.
• Ability to sit or stand at desk, operate computer keyboard and view computer screen for six to eight hours per day.
• Must be able to hear and converse via telephone and in person.
• May be required to lift boxes and small equipment up to 50 pounds in weight.
• Travel in personal automobile may be required for business; occasional air travel may be required.
• Must be able to stand and/or walk for extended periods of time
NOTE: This job posting is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Apply including resume, cover letter, and desired salary.
No phone calls please. Due to the high volume of applications received, we are not able to contact all applicants. If you do not hear from us further, someone more qualified was contacted for the position.
VISIT Milwaukee is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this position, here is a link to VISIT Milwaukee Career Job Opening page:
To apply for this job please visit www.visitmilwaukee.org.