Website Vera Court Neighborhood Center
Organization Overview: Vera Court Neighborhood Center (VCNC) is a nonprofit located on the northside of Madison that provides healthy meals, academic support, and after school programming. Since 1994, VCNC has supported our northside Madison community by addressing the needs identified by residents.
Job Description: The Academic Program Tutor will be responsible for delivering tutoring in a number of contexts including within the school and neighborhood center. The Academic Program Tutor supports students in achieving their academic and literacy goals, coordinates tutoring between the neighborhood center and classroom teachers, and responds to students’ needs in a timely fashion.
● Perform as part of a team with the Academic Program, Elementary Program and Middle School Program Coordinators, other tutors, PASS AmeriCorps members, volunteers, and all Vera Court Neighborhood Center staff.
● Maintain responsibility for the academic support of a small group of students.
● Plan and implement 1:1 and small group tutoring sessions during program hours.
● Support the Elementary and Middle School after school programs.
● Assist volunteers, interns, and other staff in delivering academic programming and creating an empowering atmosphere.
● Report to the Academic Program Coordinator regarding student outcomes regularly.
● Enrollment or experience in higher education. Can be a current or former student at a two or four year post-secondary institution.
● Knowledgeable in all areas of academics including but not limited to mathematics, science, and literacy.
● Ability to be flexible and work together as part of a fast paced after-school team.
● Knowledge of and experience with: problem solving; behavior management; and conflict de-escalation/resolution.
● Mature attitude, creative, resourceful, and a positive role model for youth.
● Positive attitude and an ability to provide patient academic guidance to youth.
● Able to demonstrate quality tutoring methods and cultural competence in youth work.
● Willingness to work a flexible schedule including after-school hours and evening hours.
● Bilingual (Spanish/English) candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
Hours: 12-14 hours per week (with potential for additional hours)
Application Deadline: Hiring immediately until all positions are filled.
Monday to Friday
People with a criminal record are encouraged to apply
To apply for this job please visit www.veracourt.org.