Website City of Madison
Job Number: 2022-00292
The City of Madison Assessor’s Office is looking to hire our next Assessment Technician Lister- Annexation/Attachment Specialist. This position is responsible for entry-level technician work and provides field and office support services to property appraisal and assessment staff. This position includes ensuring coded characteristics of property are accurate, maintaining property records, preparing legal descriptions, and maintaining assessment roll files and maps. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Assessment Operations and Business Systems Managers, with increasing independence as applicable policies and procedures are learned. This series is structured to provide for career advancement to an Assessment Technician 2 based on an employee’s increased skill and independence of action.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities
Data Collection and Confirmation
- Measure, plot, diagram, photograph, and describe building characteristics of residential and commercial property.
- Perform field reviews of properties to ensure that coded characteristics are complete and accurate.
- Maintain the assessment roll files for new plats, certified survey maps, condominiums, annexations, part of sales, combines and street vacations.
- Assign geographic parcel numbers using the Rectangular Survey System standards; compute and/or verify square footage and street frontage of parcels using a computerized mapping software, decipher and/or write legal descriptions based on metes and bounds descriptions, surveys, aerial photographs and other documents.
Updating Property Records
- Create Computer Aided Drawings (CAD) of residential new construction, additions, and alterations to existing drawings.
- Create CADs of commercial new construction, additions, and alterations to existing drawings.
- Convert hand drawings to CAD format digital drawings. Maintain CAD program, files, & templates in conjunction with the City’s Information Technology Department and serve as a technical liaison to IT.
- Use GIS tools to confirm data and update property records.
- Prepare and maintain computer generated word processing forms, spreadsheet programs and associated data using appropriate software.
- Field questions from the public about recent exterior inspections, general assessment techniques, and statutes.
- Assist appraisal staff with coordinating public meetings and information to be distributed to new City residents regarding the assessment process.
- Attend public information meetings as needed.
- Perform related work as assigned.
- Two (2) years of technical and/or administrative experience directly related to the assessment of real estate, including activities such as drafting, surveying, or listing properties.
- Associate’s degree in the areas of real estate, architectural drawing, building construction or a related field may be substituted for the experience requirements.
If an applicant does not possess the specific requirements outlined above, HR will review the application materials to determine if the applicant possesses the following equivalent experience:
Two (2) years experience in applying the following:
- General office procedures and practices.
- Project management
- Using research skills to inform projects and outcomes
Familiarity with the following:
- Computer software applicable to the duties of the position.
For the complete list of the knowledge, skills, and abilities, please view the Assessment Technician 1 classification specification.
Ability to meet the transportation requirements of the position.
Ability to obtain temporary certification as an Assessment Technician by the State of Wisconsin at the time of appointment. Permanent certification as an Assessment Technician is required prior to the completion of the probation period. Failure to obtain the required certification by the end of the probation period will result in removal from the position, absent extenuating circumstances.
Employees must have the ability to physically access various types of property throughout the City. Employees will be expected to walk over uneven terrain in order to take measurements and pictures of property.
By your start date, you will be required to complete a form declaring your Covid-19 vaccine status as a condition of employment.
*The payroll title for this position is Assessment Technician 1.
To apply for this job please visit www.cityofmadison.com.