Website VISIT Milwaukee
The leisure communications manager oversees and manages key projects for communications and public relations initiatives and is responsible for managing all proactive and reactive leisure media relations for the company. Role oversees planning and execution of travel media press trips and events, creation and oversight of annual communications and project calendar for leisure and tourism initiatives, and working across departments on copywriting initiatives, while ensuring consistency and brand adherence of all internal and external VISIT Milwaukee communications efforts.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Serve as key a contributor to the department annual strategic plan. Responsible for project management of assigned goals and tactics, ensuring timelines and goals are met as outlined in the annual plan.
• Develop and execute external public relations plan to inform local, regional, national, and international news and travel media of Milwaukee’s leisure tourism assets.
• Ensure communications, promotions and media outreach adhere to VISIT Milwaukee brand standards.
• Ensure communications, promotions and media outreach adhere to diversity, equity, and inclusion standards both in audiences represented and audiences targeted.
• Serve as a primary contact and resource to leisure journalists and the media, including responding to inquiries and making pitches for domestic and leisure publications.
• Continuously update media database with leisure contacts. Tracks pitches and editorial requests for follow-up.
• Serve as spokesperson for the organization in interviews both on and off-camera as necessary.
• Nurture existing media contacts; develop new contacts through ongoing research and outreach to maximize additional, targeted PR opportunities.
• Conduct media site visits and tours through Milwaukee attractions and neighborhoods on foot and/or by vehicle.
• Represent VISIT Milwaukee at various public relations and media-related conventions and tradeshows.
• Coordinate, implement, and represent VISIT Milwaukee on desk-side visits.
• Provide a wide variety of copywriting to all VISIT Milwaukee departments as needed, including but not limited to: press releases, media pitches, advertorials, articles, newsletters, social media posts, marketing collateral and company presentations.
• Update website copy when necessary to reflect the destination’s current offerings and attractions
• Assist Communications Director with script writing for VISIT Milwaukee events and copy for annual report.
• Other copywriting duties as assigned.
• Attend tourism and other meetings with partners to stay informed of local events and assist in related promotional efforts.
• Play a key role in creating and executing events aimed at bringing more visibility to VISIT Milwaukee as an expert in the community as well as creating connections and pride within the community.
• Give presentations on behalf of the communications department
• Provide overall project management support and oversight; overseeing assigned cross-departmental projects and company initiatives
• Represent VISIT Milwaukee in the community by helping to staff VISIT Milwaukee sponsorship tables, booths activations at festivals and events, and more.
• Attend meetings, conferences and tradeshows as needed. May require long-distance travel.
• Assist with other projects as assigned.
Required education and experience:
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent from an accredited institution in marketing, public relations, advertising, journalist or a related field, or relevant equivalent professional experience.
• An equivalent combination of education, experience, and training that would provide the knowledge, skills and abilities required for the successful performance of the essential job duties.
• Minimum of five years of public relations or media experience required, preferably in the hospitality or travel industry.
Required skills, knowledge and abilities:
• Demonstrated experience in media relations and evaluating and reporting media results required.
• Must possess demonstrated experience in written communications skills, including copywriting and editing.
• Strong verbal communication and presentation skills required.
• Strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusivity in the workplace.
• Ability to present to diverse audiences and communities.
• Must be proficient in social media strategy and execution across social platforms and understand the importance of real-time social media.
• Possesses strong technical experience, including advanced computer experience. Proficient with MS Office applications, working with databases, and generating written and visual reports, including experience with PowerPoint.
• Processes a high degree of integrity when dealing with confidential information
• Keen attention to detail, the ability to coordinate multiple tasks and meet strict deadlines.
• Must be able to develop and maintain networks within the tourism and media community.
• Must be a driven individual with a strong work ethic, the ability to work at a rapid pace, and to identify trends and opportunities and formulate action plans with a quick turnaround.
• Ability to travel by air and personal vehicle. Must possess a valid driver’s license.
• Ability to participate in active itineraries during media tours, both indoor and outdoor, including walking, bicycle, and kayak tours.
• Must have internet access at home.
• Must be able to work nights and occasional weekends as required.
• Ability to sit or stand at desk, operate computer keyboard and view computer screen for six to eight hours per day.
• Must be able to hear and converse via telephone and in person.
• May be required to stoop, bend or reach above the shoulders.
• May be required to lift boxes and small equipment up to 50 pounds in weight.
• Travel in personal automobile may be required for business; occasional air travel may be required.
• Must be able to stand and/or walk for extended periods of time
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization
Apply including resume, cover letter, and desired salary.
No phone calls please. Due to the high volume of applications received, we are not able to contact all applicants. If you do not hear from us further, someone more qualified was contacted for the position.
VISIT Milwaukee is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.paylocity.com.